Pictured: Brisbane Youth Service youth workers Shannon and Jesse, who help support David and Crystal
Life # 16 - A homeless couple from Brisbane
This month, Cricks 12 Lives would like to help a young couple from Brisbane. David and Crystal are in their early 20’s and have been living on the streets for many years.
We heard about them from a youth worker at Brisbane Youth Service (BYS), which works with homeless and vulnerable people aged 12-25.
Crystal first came to BYS when she was around 13 years old after leaving home to escape a family environment of domestic violence and substance abuse, and has been coming to them for support on and off for 10 years. David’s background was similar. Both have been sleeping rough the entire time.
They have been through tragic circumstances. But, working with the team at Brisbane Youth Service, this brave young couple are turning their lives around. They have worked incredibly hard, overcome many barriers, and have managed to secure permanent housing.
Their youth worker, Jesse, said:. “They have been extremely pro-active and reliable in working with us, and their positive attitude has finally paid off.”
David and Crystal moved into a small apartment in Brisbane two weeks ago. They had absolutely nothing so BYS used some of their limited funds to buy them a bed, mattress, fridge and washing machine. But there are still some essential things they need to make their new little unit a home.
Like their youth workers, we also think these young people deserve a break. We want to give them a helping hand to start a new life.
These are the items they still need:
1. Sofa - a small 3 seater sofa (not too bulky) and 2 single chairs OR an L-Shape Module sofa would be ideal.
2. TV / DVD player
3. A set of linen - for a Queen bed (they have 1 set but a second set would be good)
4. A 4 seater outdoor setting - the unit has a balcony and could fit a normal size rectangular setting – this would give them a bit more breathing space because their unit is so small
5. A sandwich toaster - it is a bit of a dream of theirs to be able to make toasties!
6. A milk shake maker - similar to this one (http://www.kmart.com.au/product/homemaker-milkshake-maker---red/615835 ). This is not essential but would be a nice surprise for them.
If you or your department can help with any of these items, or if you would ike to contribute towards one, please let us know.
(The real names of this couple have been changed for reasons of safety and privacy)